Menu Close

How to Treat Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms

a person puts their head on their hand as they experience alcohol poisoning symptoms

Alcohol poisoning is a serious and potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when someone drinks too much alcohol in a short period of time. It can happen to anyone, regardless of age or gender, but it’s especially dangerous for young people under the age of 21 who are still developing. Understanding how to treat alcohol poisoning symptoms will help you know what to do if you or a loved one experiences alcohol poisoning symptoms.

At Northpoint Omaha, our skilled team of specialists understands that alcohol poisoning is a complex issue with many different facets to consider when helping an individual recover. Alcohol rehab programs take an evidence-based approach to treating those suffering from alcohol poisoning or alcohol dependence, which combines traditional methods with modern research, providing individuals with the best possible outcome in their recovery journey. For more information, contact our team of experts today at 888.687.8014.

What Happens to Your Body When You Have Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning is a severe and life-threatening condition caused by excessive consumption of alcohol in a short amount of time. It occurs when the body’s organs are overwhelmed and unable to process the large amounts of alcohol consumed. As the body attempts to break down alcohol, it can lead to a dangerous drop in blood sugar, dehydration, abnormal heart rate and breathing, seizures, coma, or even death.

When you have alcohol poisoning, your body is overloaded with toxins that affect the normal functioning of the brain, organs, and nervous system. Since alcohol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream from the stomach and intestines, it takes very little time for intoxication levels to rise significantly. This can cause short-term and long-term damage to vital organs such as the liver, pancreas, and brain.

Moreover, the toxic byproduct produced that is produced in the body after consuming alcohol is known as acetaldehyde, which is a highly toxic substance and a known cancer-causing carcinogen.

In cases of alcohol poisoning due to excessive drinking, acetaldehyde accumulates rapidly in the body, leading to serious health consequences. Acetaldehyde has been linked to an increased risk of developing cancer and other diseases, such as liver cirrhosis, high blood pressure, and heart disease. It has been associated with the development of Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease as well.

Acetaldehyde has been found to:

  • Damage DNA
  • Alter gene expression levels
  • Disrupt immunological processes
  • Interfere with neurotransmitter functions
  • Induce inflammation and oxidative stress
  • Activate growth factor receptors involved in cancer formation and progression
  • Increase the risk for cardiovascular disease

Alcohol in general is bad for one’s health, and it’s important to drink in moderation or stay sober.

Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms

The effects of alcohol poisoning on the body vary depending on how much alcohol is consumed and over what period of time. In general, some of the most common symptoms include the following:

  • Confusion
  • Slurred speech
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Reduced coordination
  • Balance problems
  • Irregular or slow breathing
  • Clammy skin
  • Low body temperature
  • Unconsciousness or blackouts

If someone is experiencing these signs, it’s important to seek help.

Alcohol Poisoning Symptoms vs. Hangover

It’s important to note that there are critical differences between having an uncomfortable hangover versus experiencing more severe symptoms like those associated with alcohol poisoning. If you think someone may have consumed too much alcohol too fast or show any signs mentioned above, even if they don’t seem intoxicated, seek medical attention immediately, as these could be signs of something more serious than a hangover.

A hangover is simply a feeling of nausea, tiredness, and a general sense of not being well. Alcohol poisoning, on the other hand, is caused by consuming a significantly larger quantity of alcohol in a shorter period of time. Alcohol poisoning is accompanied by more extreme physical symptoms such as seizures or passing out completely; if any of these are present, medical attention should be sought immediately.

Avoiding Alcohol Poisoning With Northpoint Omaha Alcohol Rehab

Alcohol poisoning is a severe medical emergency and should be treated as soon as possible. It’s important to remember that alcohol poisoning symptoms differ from those of a hangover, so if you or someone you know experiences any of the above signs or symptoms after drinking too much, seek immediate medical attention. The risks associated with untreated alcohol poisoning can be fatal. It’s not worth risking your life to avoid seeking help. To learn more about Northpoint Omaha’s alcohol rehab program, contact their team of experts today at 888.687.8014.